Wednesday, August 02, 2006

All Consuming Questions

To buy ethically and cheaply there are several all important questions that you should consider before spending anything. I have listed them in the order of the importance I attribute to them - you may disagree.

Do I really need this? Is this an impluse buy? Could you get away without this in your life? The best way to save money and resources is not to buy anything unless you really need it. What constitutes necessity is a matter of individual decision, of course.

Can I get this second-hand? The best way to ensure that something is cheap, saves and resources and your money is not supporting unfair trade is to buy second hand. Often buying used items is not possible but many things such as clothes, tools, furniture or crockery can all be bought used and nearly as good as new.

Could I make it myself? Again, like getting something second-hand, if I can make it myself - even if it is something simple like a cooked or baked good - I can be sure that it is locally produced and most likely cheaper and healthier.

Did the actual producers get a fair price, working and living conditions? Am I consuming at the expense of someone else's livelihood? Personally, I try to ensure everything I buy, especially if it comes from a third world country, did not involve exploitation of the workers or farmers who produced it. If it is a farmed product, is it a mere "cash crop" to pay off foreign debt at the expense of local food production.

Is it organically or sustainably produced? Has this been grown or made with regard to the impact of farming/manufacturing process on the environment.

Is this locally produced? If not, can I get locally, preferably from a small producer. The more local a product is the fewer resources will have gone in to preserving and transporting it. Plus, by buying local produce I am adding more to the local economy.

How easily maintained or repaired will it be? Is this a long-lasting quality product or something that eventually will just have to be thrown away. Is there a manufacturer's warranty and is it any good?

Is this good for me? Is this item going to add to or detract from my health and fitness.

Can I get it cheaper? All other things being equal - what I've got is local, ethically and sustainably produced - is there somewhere else I can get this for less without compromising my beliefs.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home