Wednesday, August 09, 2006

Growing your own

If you really are concerned about the quality of the food you eat, the distance it travels, the chemicals used on it, the possible exploitation of the people who grew or harvested it etc. then you have no better option than to grow your own. You can be sure it's free from packaging, pesticide free, the labour unexploited, and travelled a minimal distance from soil to plate.

The down side of this of course is you need space, time and expertise to feed yourself to even a small degree by your own efforts. I must admit this not something I do at present but something I am hoping to get organised in the near future. My backgarden is tiny - not helped by the fact that the previous occupant concreted over half of its already limited space - although this may be overcomable through the addition of a few large tubs. I will never be able to do much more than provide the odd small addition to my pantry but it might be fun and, who knows, give me some skills which I might be able to use to more advantage if I get a bigger space one day.

It is so difficult to buy local produce in Belfast. Even things like apples, potatoes and scallions - which are no problem to grow in this climate can often be found coming from places like New Zealand, Cyprus and Mexico. When you do, often the imported stuff is half the price of the local (as I discovered last week with local tomatoes).

Even growing a few herbs, will save you money and they will be much better than anything you can buy in the shops.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home