Thursday, September 07, 2006

Bike Update

Well I finally did it. I finally cycled the 5 miles into and 5 miles back from work today - hopefully the start of a regular daily routine.

This may be mildly comical to seasoned simple livers and health enthusiasts but it is an important step for me in trying to live simply and ethically. Most of the things I embrace as an part of voluntarily simple life like vegetarianism, recycling, getting rid of the TV etc.are all things that have cost me little effort and I have done them on and off for years anyway. But, getting regular exercise and putting up with the discomfort of cycling (my backside is still somewhat tender as I write) is new to me. It is the first barrier I have come up against. The first time I've had to grit my teeth and refuse to give in.

Taking to the bike for me is a no-lose situation. I am a couple of stone overweight and chronically unfit. I am hoping the daily bike ride will help with that. I will be able to eliminate even the relatively small carbon debt I incur through taking public transport. Biking is free - no bus fare (which cost me c.£16.00 a week). The bike was a gift and l though I have had to buy some gear (helmet, rainsuit, puncture repare kit, lock etc.) for it, I will be able to recoup the money spent on that in a couple of week on bus fares saved.

Providing I can avoid getting myself run over, I will actually making a real lifestyle change instead of just talking about it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home