Sunday, August 20, 2006

On My Bike

I have finally taken possession of a bike. It's a present from my sister - this has saved my a few hundred quid! I'll have to buy a few accessories like helmet, pump, mudguard, repair kit etc. but they will be a good investment.

This is a big step forward in my attempt to live the ethical life on the cheap. On the face of it there is no downside to switching to pedal power: about 1/3 to 1/2 of my weekly expenditure has been going on bus fares; I get to cut down my personal carbon-imprint (notionally at least since they will not cut the bus schedule just because I no longer plan to travel by bus); I'll get some much needed exercise.

The only problem is I am terribly unfit and will need to gently get my fitness up to par before I can hope to peddle 5 miles to and from work everyday - so the savings won't be immediate. However if I ever hope to cut my working week sometime in the future I will need to knucle down and get used to riding the bike (I haven't really ridden one in years).

Up to now all my cost-cutting strategies (not eating meat, driving, buying clothes new etc.) are all things I would probably do anyway or have done already. This is the first major change to the way I do things that I have had to make. From the point of view of combatting the middle-age spread and getting a bit more active it can only be of benefit - even if it hurts a little at the beginning.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home