Sunday, August 13, 2006

Hoarding Stuff

I've been doing a few sums concerning my plans to cut my working week. I reckon I can bulk buy and store enough food/necessities for 6-9mths for around £200. This would involve a basically vegan diet which is something I've been interested in trying for a while but been to weak-willed to try - I really love cheese, you see. The plan will be to buy and store nearly everything I'll need bar fresh veg which I need only spend maybe £5-a-week on. My monthly expenditure on rent, electricity, broadband (for me a necessity) should be covered by working only 3 days a week. I may also be able to get tax credits for not working full-time.

From the preliminary research I've done, most tinned and dried produce seem to have a 18mth-to-2yr shelf life so I can start buying stuff in a little each week over the next few months and be ready to go part-time by New Year. £200 is not much so why not buy it all now and start next week? Well, taking a a little time will allow me to save some money as a little back-up for emergency expenditure. There will always be unplanned expenditure however much you plan.

Another reason for not doing this immediately involves another aspect of the lifestyle change. Transport costs are a significant part of my weekly expenditure (about a third) so I've decided to bite the bullet and get a bike. The problem with this is that I am seriously unfit at the moment and it will probably take a couple of months before I can use it to go any distance. I live about 5 miles away from where I work at present and on the side of a hill - it'll take a while before I can cycle into and back from work without having a coronary.

The benefits of going part-time will force me into a healthier lifestyle (healthy diet and more exercise), a more ethical one too - shopping less, cruelty-free diet, reducing carbon footprint by using the bike. Over the next couple of months I'll be able to plan exact details with more accuracy but I can't see too many downsides to this.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home